The Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation: supporting links between the UK and Japan
English 日本語
HOME ABOUT SCHOLARSHIPS GRANTS EVENTS LINKS CONTACT
Home > About > History of Daiwa Foundation Japan House
 History of Daiwa Foundation Japan House
More information
Image: Thomas H Shepherd, 'Cornwall Terrace, Regent's Park', published in August 1827
Thomas H Shepherd, 'Cornwall Terrace, Regent's Park', published in August 1827
Daiwa Foundation Japan House is part of Cornwall Terrace on the south side of Regent's Park in central London. It was opened on 14 July 1994 by then British Foreign Secretary Douglas Hurd.

Regent's Park was begun in 1811 by John Nash, the Crown Architect, and was named after George IV (1762-1830; reigned 1820-30) who from 1811 until 1820 was regent for his father, George III. As heir to the throne, the future George IV was also known as the Duke of Cornwall, the title traditionally inherited by the eldest surviving son of the monarch. 

Cornwall Terrace was designed by Decimus Burton in 1820 under the guidance of Nash. The original rough sketches for the terrace were drawn by Nash, then given to Burton for completion. When designing Cornwall Terrace, Burton was only 20 years old. 

Burton's other buildings in Regents Park include Grove House, Hanover Lodge and the Holme.


Decimus Burton in 1873 ( RIBA)
Decimus Burton in 1873

Decimus Burton (1800-81) trained under his father, and achieved early renown with his design for the Coliseum on the east side of Regent's Park. It was an enormous exhibition hall that featured a dome larger than that of St Paul's Cathedral. (The Coliseum was demolished in 1875 and Sir Denys Lasdun's acclaimed Royal College of Physicians building now occupies the site.)  

He was responsible for most of the early buildings and much of the detailed development of London Zoo; his Giraffe House and Clock Tower still survive. He later laid out Hyde Park and was the architect of the triumphal arch at Hyde Park Corner. He was also responsible for two ground-breaking structures at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew: the Palm House (with iron founder Richard Turner); and the Temperate House, the world's largest ornamental greenhouse. 

Credits: UCLA John Snow, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, RIBA Library, Bob Speel

Related links

 

 

 
The Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation 1996-2004
Registered Charity 299955   Copyright, disclaimer and privacy policy      
Last updated: 29 April 2004